The computer calculated how many passes were needed, and generated the code:
Here’s the result after 20 minutes of cutting. The edges were nice and flat:
I’d forgotten how much of a joy milling acrylic can be. It behaved really nicely, and the noise wasn’t even that loud (the vacuum cleaner used to clean the mess was much louder). I’m certainly going to use it again in the future.
The hackerspace has MOVED!
After a lot of messing about, we finally moved shop and are settling in nicely to our new address, 10/27 bank st Meadowbank! It’s right across the road from Meadowbank station.
We still have of work to do settling in but so far the new space has a much cleaner, brighter and friendlier vibe, so we are all excited and thankful it is over! Below is a time lapse I made of the unpacking.
Housewarming to come soon!
One of our members, Judit, had a bit of a challenge recently when she got an Alpaca fleece and needed to card it.
Wool ‘carding’ is the process of teasing and aligning the fibres to remove knots, and it must be done before spinning the wool. Carding machines are vey expensive, but the actual carding brushes are fairly cheap, so we designed a laser-cut set of drums and frame to make our own machine:
Two power drills provide motion. The process is not quite as gentle as you’d expect…
But the results were pretty respectable:
Next step is getting practice on our spinning wheel to make thread:
Here’s a few projects that have been made in the space recently:
Here’s Judit’s Hippo & Fox:
Max also finished his scratch-built lasercutter recently. Here’s it being used by one of our young members:
Here’s some pics of the sewable circuit workshop that we had recently:
Justin showing the group how to use conductive thread:
LEDs, switches and batteries stitched into fabric:
Annika’s awesome stitched circuit board:
Jars and jars of parts to choose from:
Big big thanks to Justin for coming along and giving us the workshop!
Here’s a project one of our members, Gerard, made recently:
Well, not so much assembled at the space, but certainly made made far more easily and elegantly with the help of the laser cutter :)
The table is to help remove air bubbles from the condensation cure moulding rubber I’ve been using and it seems to work quite well.
It’s just a small DC motor with an eccentric disc attached to the rotor, and clamped to the table with a bracket printed on an UP printer.
The table sits on a foam block to minimise the amount of energy escaping into the work bench, and to reduce noise (though the thing is still surprisingly noisy).
As an aside, Dave gave me the idea of 3D printing the masters for the moulds onto a flat plate to ensure an even parting line. I’ve done that and also 3D printed reusable mould boxes.
Some photos attached.
Here’s the moulds:
The table itself. The wood is lasercut and the corners and motor mounts are 3D printed:
And assembled, ready for use:
Hi All, Gav here.
Last Saturday I ran a workshop in the space on ROS, the Robot Operating System.
We had a great attendance, and lots of good back and forth about how to make a robot and what sort of stuff is possible.
Slides and materials are up here:
Here’s the quick and dirty map we made on the day:
And I’d highly recommend getting into ROS if you’re interested in robotics. There are tons of ready made software stacks out there and you can use them with very little change. There’s nothing more frustrating than reinventing the wheel.
Also, there’s been enough interest that we’ve started a new Sydney ROS Users group here:
And we’ll be having a monthly get-together in the Robots and Dinosaurs space to discuss things. Next ROS meeting is 27th April at noon.
Feel free to come along and bring your project for show and tell!
In preparation for the up-and-coming RND BBQ, we tested our first water balloon launcher design.
The hottest new place or Robots and Dinosaurs official announcements!
Subscribe today and be kept up to date on club events, functions and meetings without all the fun of the main list :)
Here’s a quick post of a recent project at the space called the Flightscythe.
We modified a cheap ‘bixler' remote control aircraft. This is readily available, can be driven like a glider or under constant power, and has plenty of room to mount extras like FPV gear or electronics. It's also very forgiving in crashes, as you can probably tell from the tape at the front.
Code and implementation details are available here: https://sites.google.com/site/mechatronicsguy/flightsycthe